Tuesday, February 21, 2012

BEES! No BEADS!

I got beads. It was Mardi Gras at the Farmer's Market in LA. A little Zydeco, some shiny cheap plastic beads, masks, and kosher pastrami on rye - well that part might not be Mardi Gras. Even though Fat Tuesday was on, well a Tuesday, LA was still celebrating on a Saturday.



My long time and good friend Ian is moving out of the golden state to the rainy, overcast, foggy, grey, yet abundant green, state of Oregon. So I had to show him just a couple of my LA Loves. One being Canters Deli on Fairfax and Beverly. This famous kosher knosh laid its roots in 1931 during the golden age of Hollywood. Located kitty corner to CBS studios and just a block up from the Farmer's Market, Canters has served many a celebrity and tourist and local for a very, very long time. You know why it's been around so long? Cause they make one mean pastrami on rye, and excellent pickles too - and I LOVE a good pickle. I couldn't finish my sandwich, but every bite was kosher goodness. Ian cleared his plate, so I'm guessing he liked it too.



Where do you take someone who loathes crowds and celebrities? Well you take them to the very crowded Grove at the Farmer's Market where I seem to spot a celebrity almost every time. I'm pretty sure I saw Perez Hilton this time, but the place was soooo crowded it was overwhelming. Mainly it was crowded with Japanese highschoolers - a field trip to California, not bad.

Shopping carts at the Farmer's Market, love them!
It was a good time, I'm sad to see my friend leave, but hopefully one day he'll move back to Manhattan and then I'll have a free place to stay and a tour guide in the city ;)

he refused to have his picture taken with the Hollywood sign in the background, so alas, it's just a sign.

7 comments:

  1. WHAT? i want to go there!!! did you know i am obsessed with pastrami sandwiches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know this!! We are going for sure then (read as you have to go with me) :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I'm Liz in (horrible) Cleveland OHio. I used to live in Los Angeles in my 20's. Love the photos. Brings back great memories especially Canter's and Farmers Market. And love photos of Crotia-my mother was from Slovenia. More poetry please. Hope you don't mind a blog stalker-I think you're great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, thanks for the comment! And no I don't mind blog stalkers, I'm a self proclaimed one! LA is pretty great isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great little place... I simply cannot stay away from farmer's markets. I love the shopping carts! And I'm drooling over your sandwich. Thanks so much for sharing your photo over on Busy Nothings Photography Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! I'm excited to participate in your photography club, and I love your blog! :)

      Delete
  4. I've lived in both New Orleans and L.A., but I never knew L.A. celebrated Mardi Gras. Hey, it's fun no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete