Friday, March 23, 2012

Just call me June Cleaver


It’s no secret that my life’s dream is to be a 1950’s housewife. Ok, ok, so I don’t really want to wear a full skirt dress, heels, pearls and lipstick all day – and that’s just a romanticized version of reality anyhow. I do have this obsession with the glamour of the ‘50’s and ‘60’s, when women were allowed to be feminine without the anti-femininity rhetoric we hear now. When women were allowed to have curves, when “you’re looking thin” was not a compliment, and when wanting to cook dinner for your family wasn’t degrading. Though I was born in the ‘80’s and I can only perceive the time period through memories of my mom, aunts and reruns of I Love Lucy, it seems to me that life was much simpler. We weren’t inundated by media messages that sabotage our self respect and constantly compare us to unreal, hyper-realized “celebrities”. We drank whole milk and played in the dirt; we drank from the hose and lived to tell the tale. We worked out by vacuuming the carpets, washing the dishes, and scrubbing the tubs – and took pride in that work.


Why has it become a societal taboo to want to be a stay-at-home mom or housewife? I read an article recently that talked about the growing popularity of stay-at-home blogs and Mormon Mommy blogs, could it be possible that some women may want that life afterall? Don’t get me wrong though. Of course everyone should have equal rights to education, employment, pay, leadership, etc. Just don’t try to make me feel bad when I don’t want to be the CEO of some fortune 500 company, because I’d rather be the COO of my own home and family.

I'm still single, but I building my resume for the job.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I just saw your comment on my blog and decided to peek at yours and ahhhh! I am completely mesmerized/slightly freaked out by mormon mommy bloggers as well and read that slate article too. I'm glad you'll be following my blog :)

    And hey, sometimes I actually miss those fluorescent cubicle lights! (Ok, not the lighting... but that cubicle is awful cozy sometimes in comparison to living under a tarp!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Angela! I'm sure your 5 months of tarp living will be tough, but it will be worth it! Wait, did I just say that?

      haha, I'm jealous that you will be hiking the PCT, one day I will, one day.

      Delete